Beets are such a delicious and nutritious food. Learn some of our favorite ways to incorporate beets into meals other than salads!
What to do with beets?
One of our favorite ways to enjoy beets outside of a salad is to oven steam them!
Recipe/Process for Oven Steamed Beets:
- 3-4 pounds beets, cut in half (enough to fill a 9×13 baking dish)
- 2 T olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- Rosemary, thyme, and bay leaves (I tend to use fresh herbs- a handful of thyme, a sprig of rosemary and 2 bay leaves)
- 1/4 cup water
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees fahrenheit
- Toss beets in oil (I do this in the baking dish)
- Season with salt, pepper, and herbs
- Pour in 1/4c water
- Cover baking dish with parchment paper first, then foil on top tightly.
Roast until a knife slides into beets easily, typically 45-60 minutes.
Remove from oven and enjoy! (Some prefer the skins to be taken off, that never bothers us. However, if you’d like to remove the skins simply rub them off with either a paper towel or a towel you don’t mind staining. But let them cool some so you don’t burn yourself!)
We hope you enjoy cooking with beets this week! -Josh&Katie